CR Smith was established 1917 by Charles Robertson Smith.
Originally, the company operated a paint and picture framing shop in Alloa and a glazing workshop in James Street Dunfermline.
The company fitted and repaired windows and continued to be owned and run by the Smith family until 1977, when it was bought by Gerard Eadie.
Mr Eadie had been a glazing apprentice with Fife Council before setting up his own business, Gerry Eadie Glazing Contractor, with a £50 loan from his mother. He had bought glass from CR Smith in James Street and knew Bert Smith, Charles Smith’s grandson, very well.
Just 25 at the time that he bought CR Smith, he paid £2,200, half for the business and half for its Olivetti cash machine. He chose to keep the CR Smith name because of the sixty years heritage that went along with it. However, he saw that the market was changing. More people were being encouraged to buy their own home and with that went the need and desire to improve. Double glazing was in its infancy, but this was where Mr Eadie saw an opportunity.
CR Smith continued to operate from James Street until August 1981 when it moved to new premises in Gardeners Street, Dunfermline where the company remains today. In 1979 the CR Smith factory moved to Lochgelly and then to Dalgety Bay in 1980, before the company opened its purpose built manufacturing plant in Cowdenbeath in 1985. Read more about CR Smith at our Linkedin company profile page click here >
To see some of our recruitment opportunities click here >